Monday, February 7, 2011

Stop the Pop!

I've been reading articles upon articles upon articles about how BAD diet soda is. And for the most part the conclusions are based on scientific research. The connection to cancer is still somewhat a controversy, but many articles argue that within the next decade Aspartame will be linked to cancer.

Similarily, when I read about the harmful effects of meat, the more I read about it, the more disgusted I became hence making it easier to make the decision to stop eating it. Here are some of the top reasons that are making me question my diet soda crave:

1. Artificial Sweeteners Make You Crave Sweets:

A study released by Purdue University concluded that rats on diets containing the artificial sweetener saccharin gained more weight than rats given sugary food. the rats whose diets contained artificial sweeteners appeared to experience a physiological connection between sweet tastes and calories, which drove them to overeat.

When our taste buds taste sweet, but there are no calories to follow, the brain signals the craving for that sweet sensation. (Hence my addiction to Diet Coke with a nice donut to follow...ah ha!)

Now, I'm not a huge soda drinker, but I do like to enjoy, on average, one can per day (that's as long as we don't have a box of it at home). I also like to have one cup of coffee in the morning. Between the two, I probably drink more caffeine that I should.

2.  Diet Soda contains an Acidity Level Close to the levels of Battery Acid

IT'S TRUE. The inside of our mouth contains a natural pH level of 7.0. Battery Acid contains a pH level of 1.0. Diet Coke is at level 3.36!!! However regular Dr. Pepper tops the charts by having a pH level of 2.92...the closest yet to Battery Acid.

In case you're wondering WHY this is so bad, here's a (subtle) picture of acid erosion on your TEETH:



Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment